Thursday, September 18, 2008

V I S U A L L A N G U A G E : mark making exercise

One of the major things I wanted to convey through my posters was the rich aesthetic qualities found in Asian artwork. I began by researching traditional mark-making techniques and compiling examples. 

Throughout history, Asian artists have utilized personal stamps as a way of branding their work and putting their name on it. 

I took a history of graphic design course in which I was exposed to a Chinese artist by the name of Xu Bing. One of his works in which he dealt with the language barriers of Asian countries really struck a note with me. In order to illustrate this barrier, Bing developed a massive set of letterforms that characteristically resembled Chinese letterforms yet they were completely meaningless. 

From my research I found that one of the main issues Asian-Americans aren't engaging in civic participation is because of language barriers and mistranslations at the polls. By taking the aesthetic qualities of the characters from multiple Asian languages and merging them with English characters, I could address this issue and at the same time communicate to the entire demographic. 




Above is an image of the linoleum stamps I carved. 


Below is are a couple images of a Mudra parody. Mudras are meditational hand positions often seen on sculptures. They have a multitude of purposes such as balancing one's self, guiding our energy flow, creating inner peace and strength, sharpening intuition, and promoting prosperity. 

These were executed as stencils done in silver and gold paint and upon a brief look, are to be read as the word "vote."


Below is a piece referencing Asian textile work. 


I gathered a bunch of beautiful Asian papers to be used for collaging. 


No comments: